|Checking the mast rake with a dummy stick.
I cut out the mast opening, being careful to get the rake angle correct. I used a lofted measurement from frame #1 to lay out the position of the opening on the partner. I rounded over the top and bottom edges of the opening, to make it easier to pull the leather around. I'd been saving a piece of 1/16" bronze plate for just such an application, and dug this out to make the straps. I laid these out on the plate, and cut them with a hacksaw, then radiused the ends.
|The straps are cut out of 1/16" bronze sheet...
|...the ends are radiused and the edges filed smooth.
|This jig for bending the plate was unsuccessful.
|The plate is put in the bender, with the correct die...
|...and the bender's arm swings around to bend the plate, effortlessly.
|This is what the straps will look like.
|Epoxy saturated plywood.
|Leathering the partner.
|Making the oak pin.
|The completed mast partner.
|The deck beams are notched for the king planks.
|The king plank blanks are laminated right on the boat.
There are a couple of different ways to go wrong here, and I did them both. For one thing, I measured the angle relative to the water-plane, rather than normal to the sheer, for some reason. So the angle of the drill press was not right. The other thing I did was orienting the plank the wrong way on the drill press, so the angle would have been backwards.
|A 2-1/2" hole saw is set up to drill the mizzen hole.
|The correct angle and orientation!
|The king planks are epoxy saturated like the mast partner before installation.
|The carlins are clamped in place.
|Running a saw blade between the joint for a perfect fit.