Sunday, February 12, 2012

Building the Matinicus Double Ender- Part 12

Way back in an earlier post, I described laying out the oval deck ends. I made thin ply patterns of the oval beams to use when I later made the beams themselves.

From a previous post- Laying out the oval deck shape.
 At the same time that this was going on, I was vacuum-bagging some curved doors in the shop and had all the materials to hand and the bag set up, so I decided to laminate some scrap occume ply on a curved form to saw the beams from later. Fast forward a few months, and here we are finally getting back to those beams. Once the carlins were permanently installed, I pulled out the original oval beam patterns to check the fit. The aft pattern was still perfect, but the forward one was a tad wide, so I cut it in half and reduced the width slightly to fit the carlins.

Checking the fit of the oval beam patterns.
 The trick with all of this, is to blend the curve of the carlins seamlessly into the oval ends. To help with this, I decided to notch the beams into the carlins slightly, avoiding a feather edge on the beam ends which would be too fragile (the squared off ends of the oval beams are evident in the photos of the patterns). I laid the patterns on my laminated, curved plywood stock, and cut out the beams.

Both patterns are laid out on the laminated, curved plywood stock.
Though I don't have a photo, the rabbets in the carlin ends were cut with a router using a top-bearing pattern bit, and a scrap of ply clamped on for the pattern. When everything fit satisfactorily, I glued in the beams. Plastic is used in the hull to keep the epoxy off of the finished boat!

Gluing the oval beams in the boat.

Gluing the oval beams in the boat.

After gluing, the beams were faired into the deck structure.

Notched carlins are visible in this photo, if you look closely.
In retrospect, this whole  curved beam business could have been simpler and quicker. If I do another oval deck, I'll just saw the deck camber into a couple of thick pieces of solid wood, glue them in oversize, and cut out the curve right on the boat. It will be a little harder to clean up the cut on the boat rather than on the bench, but if done in soft wood, that should not prove too difficult. At any rate, the beams are in and the curves are fair, so we'll move on to the next step.

It seemed prudent to laminate the oval coamings before decking the boat, while I still had some structure to clamp to. My usual veneer supplier stocks "special thickness" veneers in several species. I ordered some 1/16" ribbon sapele from them to make the coamings. Using these veneers is much simpler than resawing the stock myself. I will have to match the grain to the solid stock that I use for the straighter portions, though, so it is somewhat of a trade-off. Ribbon sapele is fairly easy to match, at any rate.

A stack of 1/16" sapele veneer, to laminate for the coamings.
Several years ago, I made up a pile of little "L" shaped blocks that can be screwed or clamped down along a curve to laminate to. I've used these same blocks many times, for a variety of projects, including a set of "half-bone" sprit booms for a Herreshoff 31, akas for a sailing outrigger, the outer stems for this boat, and now the oval coamings. I clamped these around the curve of the deck, and glued up a stack of veneer sandwiched between masked off strips of 3/8" "wiggle-ply".

"L" blocks are clamped around the perimeter of the beam.
The sapele veneers are sandwiched between wiggle-ply cauls.
The glue-up used pretty much all of the small clamps I could lay my hands on. My friend Matthew, builder and sailor of a gaff sloop rigged skiff named "Glory Hole", came by to help me with the glue-up. We did one end on Friday night, and the other end Saturday morning.

I'm going to stick in a little sidebar here, with a few photos of Glory Hole. Matthew Peverly designed and built this little flat-iron skiff on the roof of his Brooklyn loft a few years ago. He designed the hull, not with splines, curves, pencil, and paper, but by building scale models with posterboard and crazy glue. When he had a hull he liked, Matt scaled up the model and cut out full size hull panels and bottom. I don't know how he got it off the roof, I wasn't there. He rigged it originally as a gaff cat, and later added a bow sprit and jib. I've sailed this boat a number of times myself, and also sailed in company alongside in my own "Cricket". Its a great boat! Here's some photos that fellow sailor Chris Bickford shot...





Back to the coamings...





It takes a lot of clamps!
The raw coaming blank.  Aft coaming is being glued up.
We'll set these aside now,  until we finish the deck.
I have to get in some material to deck the boat, so in the meantime I'm working on the rudder. That's what we'll look at next time. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

EyeInHand said...

Looking great, can't wait.